Thank you for coming to the Permanex Plumbing web site, please take the time to read through our questions and answers section.

Q. Do you have memberships with any accredited plumbing associations?

A. For your security and peace of mind Permanex plumbing has multiple memberships with accredited plumbing associations including Corgi Registration, Institute of Plumbing Membership, Builders Conference Membership, London Building Safety Group Membership and NASC Membership.

Q. How much are your charges?

A. We charge a fixed rate fee of £70.00 which covers your fist hour of work and then we charge only £35.00 per 1/2 hour after that. We will provide an estimate of work before we start so you know what’s going on.

Q. Can you guarantee that you will finish a job on time?

A. Yes we can. We provide a fully detailed quote along with costs, raw materials, number of workers, the times the project will be worked on AND the time and date of completion. There may be a provision in our quote for unexpected or undetermined work dependant on the job type.

Q. What is the law regarding gas and electricity work?

A. People who do not work directly on gas installations or appliances, but who work in areas where there are implications for gas safety – such as architects, builders and local authorities working with flues and venting – have a general duty of care under civil law. They should refer to the appropriate regulations covering their work.

Q. How much deposit am I expected to pay up front?

A. That is totally dependant on the project type. In most circumstances we charge no deposit but in some cases where we are ordering specific items from a third party we will ask for a deposit. We want you to feel comfortable with our services and so we’ll do everything possible to facilitate your needs.

Q. Do you service Boilers and provide Landlord Certificates?

A. Yes we do provide certificates of inspection for your Landlord or other official bodies. All certificates come with our Corgi Registration verification and can be re-issued every 12 months for a fixed fee.

Q. Why should I choose Permanex Plumbing?

A. The name Permanex is synonymous with quality workmanship and follow up service which is unequalled in the plumbing industry. If you check the other major plumbing services on the Internet you will see many complaints but NONE about Permanex Plumbing.

Q. Do you guarantee your work?

A. All of our work comes with our 100% customer satisfaction guarantee so you can be assured the Permanex Plumbing is your only choice. We make sure that all of our work is of the highest standard available in the industry and coved by over £5 million in public liability insurance.

Q. What other kinds of plumbing emergencies could possibly occur?

A. If a water pipe were to break in the house, a homeowner should know where the main water shut-off is located so they can terminate the water at that point. Normally this is located outside the home in the front or rear where there is a hose bib connection. If a homeowner cannot find it because it is not exposed and accessible, we suggest calling the local water department (you find that phone number on the water bill statement).

In the case where the water leak is at a specific plumbing fixture, the best approach is to shut off the water immediately at that location. All plumbing fixtures, including toilets, sinks and basins, have shut-off valves located under the fixture against the wall. If a bathtub or shower is leaking, it is necessary to shut the water off at the main water shut-off and call your professional plumber.
A leaking water heater can be shut off at the top right pipe leading into the water heater. For safety reasons, the gas must also be shut off at the water heater; that valve is usually found on the gas piping at the lower left side of the water heater.

Q. What if I smell gas and suspect a leak?

A. If you have an idea where the smell is coming from, such as a water heater, stove, oven, gas dryer or furnace, you can turn the gas off at the appliance. These valves are located within three feet of the appliance on the gas piping system.
Gas valves, called gas cocks, have a straight blade-type handle and are on when the handle is parallel with the pipe and off when the handle is perpendicular to the pipe. Therefore, only a 1/4 turn is required to turn gas cocks off.
If you have no idea where the gas leak is coming from, it is always best to turn the complete system off and call the gas company. The main gas shut-off valve is located on the inlet side of the gas meter. In most cases, this valve is on the vertical pipe left of the meter. It is necessary to use a crescent or pipe wrench to turn this valve off, again, making the handle perpendicular to the pipe with a quarter turn. You may want to hang a crescent wrench next to the main valve to avoid searching for the tool in an emergency. If you have any questions about the location of the gas main, call your gas company.

Q. What do I do about an overflowing toilet?

A. First, turn off the water at the valve under the toilet. If it’s a case of too much paper or other matter causing a stoppage, a plunger should work. If the toilet is not operating because the sewer is stopped up, a homeowner can help prevent overflowing by opening their sewer clean-out (located outside the building) to relieve the pressure on the system. Then call your plumber or a drain-cleaning company.

Q. What If I don’t have a sewer clean-out?

A. It’s important to understand that the sewer line is the main drain which receives the waste from all plumbing fixtures in the house. When this pipe is stopped up, every plumbing fixture will be affected. Water seeks the lowest level and any water permitted to enter the plumbing system at a higher level, such as a kitchen sink, will back up at a lower fixture, such as a toilet or shower. So when this happens, do not allow any more water to run into the system from anywhere in the house until you have had a plumber clean the sewer line.

Q. What If my garbage disposal doesn’t work?

A. If the disposal makes no noise when you turn it on, press the reset button located on the bottom of the unit. If it makes a buzzing noise but doesn’t operate, turn the unit off. Look inside and see if there is a spoon or other object inside. Usually, a small object such as a pull tab from an aluminum can, apricot pit or coin is jamming the blades and needs to be dislodged. Before putting your hand or anything else into the disposal, unplug it. A broom handle usually works very well as a prying tool to free the blades from their locked position. Try inserting the handle at an angle, catching a raised portion of the cutter blade, and using leverage to turn it clockwise or counter-clockwise. If that doesn’t work, call a plumber.

Q. What If my Tap is running too slowly?

A. If both hot and cold water are affected, probably the aerator is congested with rust and corrosion. The aerator is located on the end of the Tap spout to introduce air into the water as it come out of the Tap to prevent splashing. On newer Taps, it also restricts the water flow to conserve water.
Try unscrewing the aerator by hand or with a wrench. Disassemble all the parts, being especially careful to lay the parts out in the order they are removed. Clean the rust or corrosion from each part and reassemble in exact order. If that doesn’t work, the problem is in the Tap or the plumbing piping system and you need to call your professional plumber.

If you would like more information about our services or you have any questions that remain unanswered then please contact us or phone local call on 0844 8400 999.